Wednesday 27 March 2013

Bookclub houskeeping




Thanks Sue for choosing this book, we all loved Lisa Genova's "Left Neglected" so much. 
It would be a good idea to start reading this long weekend so we don't run out of time at the end. 
Next meeting April 17.
I've changed the order slightly as Jenny can't do her turn soon. If it doesn't suit let me know.
2013
Sue Gi      January 23      Still Missing
Lynn          February 20   The Street Sweeper
Cathy        March 20        All That I Am
Sue Ge     April 17
Kate F       May 15
Bronwyn   June 12
Wendy      July 10
Therese    August 7
Kate G      September 4
Genny      October 2
Jenny       October 30
Fiona        November 27
Pauline    December          




I was looking at the book list and thought it would be nice to start a discussion on some of our favourite and not so favourite books that we have read over the past 13 and a bit years.

I'll start with our very first book, and I know not everyone read it, but its been a popular book, and a film, so you can start by writing what you remember about it and the beginnings of the book club. It also takes you back to what your life was like all those years ago.


I can remember reading this book and being captivated by its story. It had been a while since I had read a novel and to have the opportunity to join a bookclub excited me. This book was hard to put down and I remember feeling guilty about dedicating time to reading it. There was an overwhelming drive to the story. Even now, I can picture the gloomy house as my mind drew a picture of the vivid description of the house. I can even remember a part of the story where someone is running down stairs to a lake and the fear and anticipation of what would unfold. 

I can remember the gathering at Fiona's house, a rare opportunity to have time away from family commitments. I can remember thinking at the time that this was the beginning of something good and planning what I would have to do to my house to accommodate a bookclub gathering!!!

At the end of 1999, Geraldine still hadn't started school ! She's in her last year now ! Bernadette was finishing year 3, Frances was about to go to high school,  and Angela was in year 8. !!!

Funny how in your head you feel the same, but when you have children you notice how everyone is changing around you.

So either add your comments to this item or email something longer and I will post it for all to read.

1 comments:

Kate F said...

Ahhh... "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again" - what a great book! I was not there at the very beginning, but you all raved about this book so much that I went and read it myself when I joined the bookclub! And loved it. There are so many great books I never would have found if I hadn't joined the book birds.

Post a Comment

 
;